Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kobe



This is Kobe at night. Beautiful is the only word that I need to describe Kobe. Absolutely beautiful city. Kobe is the sixth-largest city in Japan and one of the cities to open for trade with the West.
I went to Kobe with my friend by ourselves. There were no Japanese people or people who knows to get there. We wanted to figure things out by ourselves and it was sucessful! I took a book, map and some lunch we made.


We followed the map which have the major sight seeings and everything. First, we went to kitano park and had lunch. It was so beautiful. But it was different than what I expected. Unlike Kyoto which has many traditional Japanese elements, the buildings and houses are very different from standard Japanese style. It reminded me of Montmartre in France. Very Europeanish and westernized. Many things catched my eyes. It was little bit hard to get there but it was worth it. They played music and musician was trying to entertain people and had nice foods.



After having fabulous lunch, we moved our feets to Kobe tower. In kobe town, there was a huge river between the bridges. We could've took the boat but it was expensive. But it was enough for me to just look at them and enjoy.


We spent about 5 hours in Kobe tower area and we saw many foreigners who were having fun as we were. There were two hotels which looked so elegant and classy. The one that we actually entered was fulled of people and seemed new. The other one seemed more private and expensive. I really wanted to get in but I couldn't..


I also went to third biggest china town in the world. This is officially my first time to go to any china town in the world. My friend and I couldn't find it first but we knew right away when we saw red signs.


Almost every single person was holding foods in their hands and eating while they were walking. It is hard to see in Korea. And actually there is no China town in Korea. They have foods, goods and people.

We went back to Kobe tower and enjoyed our first night at Kobe. Everything looked even better at night.



Kobe is the place that you can feel three different atmospheres; Japan, Europe and China. How facinating! I would never expect something like this from Japan. It was very interesting and fun night in Japan. Kobe became one of my favorite city in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. I really like Kobe a lot - it is the San Francisco of Japan. But its Chinatown is pretty small - I doubt it is the third largest in the world (third largest in Japan perhaps...). In the past I have taken the Globalization class on fieldtrips to Kobe, so there is a lot about Kobe on the VAOJ blog. Check it out.

    This post seems more reflexive rather than focusing on Japan or Japanese culture. I like reading that you went out exploring, but you should keep your focus (and photo subjects) Japan-related...

    ReplyDelete