Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Japanese temple vs. Korean temple


When I first arrived here, the first thing I realized was that there are a lot of traditional temples in Japan. I was very surprised when I saw the temple which was located in the middle of the shopping centers in Kyoto because it is very hard to see a temple in a crowded town in Korea. I have to go certain areas or mountains to see temple. My family or at least my grandma had very deep belief in Buddhism. When I was young, whenever I visited my grandmother’s home, she always sings to me the songs which are from special Buddhism books. The songs didn’t make sense to me at first but they grew up in me. After a while, I couldn’t sleep without my grandma’s songs.
Because of my grandma’s strong encouragement to go to temple, my family usually go to the temple on Buddhist’s day. We go there, pay money with our appreciation for our family’s sake and have free lunch! People working at temple offer free vegetarian lunch for people who come to their temple. It is very delicious and very healthy. I think I have been many temples more than people who are in my age right now. As I grew up, my family and I went to temple less and less. As time went by, I was in the place that I had to concentrate my school and manage my life besides going to the temple and there was no grandma who sings me the songs, holds my hands and takes me to the temple anymore. (She passed away…) And now I am in Japan, the country which has lots of temples and reminds me of my childhood and grandmother. I was very happy to see these temples and somehow these temples and the smell of the temples make me calm and make me find my center.

                                                    Korean temple's (See? not many colors)

My friends and I went to ‘kiyomizutera’ which is in Kyoto. I found the differences right away. The most obvious difference was that temples in Japan are more likely have bright radish colors such as red and orange. Basically the entire temple was colored by orange. It is very rare to see those kinds of colors in Korean temples. The temple was so different and so pretty. I was so moved just by standing there and looking at the temple. In Korea, they barely use colors and if they have to use colors, those are usually green, brown, grey or partially red. Korean people tend to keep it simple and try not to use many colors when it comes to building temple. Simple is better. That’s Korean’s motor. It was very nice to see different style of temple for a change.

                                   
The other difference that I was surprised was that they have all kinds of make-a-wish activities in the temple. People come and write or draw their wishes on woods and hang them on special place. Also there was a special herb that is supposed to heal people’s illness. Most of people were hoping that their illness will go away by breathing and washing their body with its smoke and smell. I did it wishing all my hidden illness would go away. The other interesting activity that I loved was so-called ‘Love stone’. There were two stones which were about 4 meters away from each other. If you reach one stone to the other with your eyes closed, your love will be realized soon but if you don’t, it will take some time to realize your love. They also offer three different waters that have different meanings; Love, success and happiness. People don’t get to know the meanings before they drink it. They have to choose by chance and after they get to know the meaning.

My friends and I tried to do many things as we could in Kiyomitustera area. On the way back down to Kyoto, we dropped by many cute stores and had little green tea ice cream. It was one bite of heaven. Even though it was little bit hot and hard to get to the top but it was definitely worth it. This was one of the best trip I have ever been in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting comparison. I wonder if we might generalize and say that Korean temples are more religious while Japanese temples are more recreational? Of course this isn't true all of the time but your post seems to support such a claim.

    ReplyDelete