Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Changing impressions


It has been about 4 months since I came to Japan and also has been 4 months to take Anthropology of Japan class. Both were my very first time in my life. I have been very happy about the fact that I am in Japan and experience new things. Plus it was a huge oppurtunity for me to take Anthropology of Japan becasue I went and saw things that I would never experience in my country Korea. And most importantly I  learned something out of it.

I always thought Japan and Korea are very much in common in many ways before I came to Japan but while I stayed in Japan, I realized that Japan and Korea are quite different. And during 4 months, my impressions have definitely changed.




First of all, Japan appreciates the time of being alone more than I thought. This is one of  the biggest differences that I found in Japan. Almost every restaurant or cafe that I have been has individual seats. I was very surprised of the fact that even Macdonald has a very nice seat for individuals because it is very hard to see those seats in Korea restaurants. Every thing has to be ours in Korea. Our family, our house, our friends..But after few months obsevation in Kansai gaidai campus, I found that many Japanese students are very independent and enjoying spending time alone studying, reading and eating. I don't see myself eating alone in restaurant but it is very natural thing in Japan which I think it is very nice.

Second of all, Japanese people are very concerned about other people's feelings and they care about very small things which most of people wouldn't be realized becasue it is too small to care about. One time I went to shopping to get some clothes and it was raining so hard that day. I was so worried about the paper bags that have new clothes that I bought. I thought those bags are going to be soaking wet from rain. However, I didn't have to worry about it because they offered me a paper bag covered by plastic bag. On rainy days, all of Japanese shops are offering their customers the paper bags which are covered by plastic bags. I was so touched by this bags because they could've just offered normal paper bags but they see things for the futre. This is the thing I like about Japan. They come up with something that most of people would've not thought of. There were so many things in Japan that I was surprised at but there are too many to remember. I think they do this because they really see things and know how to think beyond.



My impression has changed a lot in a good way after I really experienced Japan by myself. Hopefully I could keep this up next semester too.

5 comments:

  1. I appreciated your Japan/Korea comparisons. Thank you for your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola! I am living in Korea now, I will stay here for a long time, so far loving it. My goal is to find a job that could send me back and forward to Japan and Korea, but first I have to learn Korean and later Japanese. I will follow you because I like how you write.

    Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your opportunity to study anthropology in Japan. I think that in most of the world, there is a lot of emphasis on the individual and Japan reflects that. Japan has a reputation for having a very progressive and forward-thinking population. Hopefully you have found an opportunity to pursue more study in Japan.

    PhD by Publication by Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. so jealous that you're in Japan and I'm not, but congratulations nonetheless :) i mentioned you in my blog post, and I'd really appreciate if you could give me a shoutout or send some friends to my blog. http://thesushidiary.blogspot.com/ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to eat your cooking food...

    ReplyDelete